Saturday, September 19, 2009

Simple Art, Rich History, and Opulent Government Buildings


A white stripe on a black canvass. I don't mean to judge, but how is that art? I went to a modern art museum in the Centre Georges Pompidou with a few friends today. Unoriginal modern art is better than about half of the museum, which featured anything naked. I did see a few Picasso paintings that made it all worth it.

This morning we went to the Palais du Luxembourg in the Luxembourg Gardens. It houses the senate, offices, and ornately decorated rooms. The "conference room" would have been fancy for balls. This was a treat, because it is normally closed to the public. This weekend is the Journées Européennes du Patrimoine. In English, this means normally closed important buildings are open to the public for free.

I spent yesterday at Les Invalides. It was orignially built by Louis XIV to house wounded soldiers. Now it houses a number of war related museums. I saw WWI and WWII artifacts, medieval armor, and Napoleon I's red tomb, which lies beneath the Église du Dôme.

Tonight I'm going to an American sports bar with a group to watch the Gator game. Let's beat Tennessee!
French Fact: The French Senate has eight vice-presidents. We were confused today when we saw three separate offices for the vice-president.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth - I'm a friend of your parents from their Wycliffe days. Your dad put me onto your blog. Hope you enjoy Paris! I first met you just after you were born, when I visited your folks in Brussels. God bless, Larry Seguin (writing from Toronto, Canada)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I remember hearing about you over the years, Larry! I'm pretty sure we have a picture of you holding me as a baby in Belgium.

    ReplyDelete