Thursday, September 10, 2009

What's Un-American about Paris?

Here are a few different things I've noticed about Paris and the French.

  • If you want to eat out fast, then don't. It's impossible to get out of a restaurant quickly. It's a social experience.

  • You sit down in the shower and spray yourself. The shower is in a separate room. The toilet always has its own room. The toilet I use is in a tiny room with no sink. The whole family shares.

  • The French didn't get the smoking's-not-cool-anymore memo. I'm getting my fair share of second-hand smoke!

  • If something breaks, you can bet on it taking a while to get fixed.

  • Everything is smaller.

  • Waste is minimal. The only paper product where I live is toilet paper. There aren't tissues, paper towels, or napkins.

  • It's never too early to start drinking here. There's usually someone outside of cafes at 11 a.m. with a glass of wine or beer. And alcohol is served everywhere all the time. Plus, there is no drinking age.

  • French people use their cars sparingly. Everyone walks.

  • Apparently I can't sit in my window to read. That's what I was doing when my host mom came home this week. She told me it was illegal. Once another student she had was fined 350 Euros by three policemen. She said neighbors will think I'm watching them.

  • Paris has lots of random rules. For instance, our housing organizer said only one party is allowed per month in apartments. I asked my host mom about it, and she laughed, "You mean once a year!"

  • Don't look a stranger in the eye. It can be interpreted as a form of aggression. Don't smile at strangers either. It means you want to get to know them better.

  • In Paris, you can make out just about anywhere. I've seen it in the metro, in the street, in restaurants, in stores, in parks, etc.

  • The French lower their voices when they talk. Being loud is rude.

French Fact: Paris has 21 mayors: one head mayor and one for each of the 20 arrondissements.

1 comment:

  1. I think these can be generalized to include all of Europe. I am quite a fan of the 1st, 6th, and 8th ones on your list and would love if the US adopted them.

    ReplyDelete