Sunday, December 13, 2009

One day papers, the next fondue

There is so much to take in - like the the freezing weather outside. It's literally 32 degrees Farenheit.

I've finished classes and written three ten-page papers. I still have to finish work on my independent study of French literature, but I've decided to hold off until I'm in America. I'm trying to soak up as much Paris as I possibly can before I get on that plane in four days.

On Thursday my group had our last dinner together at the restaurunt on the corner near school. I'm going to miss taking the metro to Montmarnasse to go to class at Reid Hall. I am extremely pleased with my program and my professors. The thick scrapbook they gave us of our activities made me realize how much we've done together.



The night before we went to a one-man show titled "How to become a Parisian in one hour." We almost died of laughter. All of the Parisian stereotypes we've concluded this semester came to play. The man asked for a volunteer from the adience at one point. I stupidly started pointing to my friend Angie sitting in front of me. Of course I was the only person in the theater making any movement, so I was singled out. I got on stage and was taught to "dance like a Parisian" to Brittany Spears music in front of a couple hundred people. My friends were incredibly amused, and two of them were called on stage after that since the actor had caught onto our group of Americans. They thanked me after the show.



I have officially conquered the Louvre! I went once more to mark off the remaining rooms on my map. The mob around the Mona Lisa (or La Jaconde in French) reminds me of Americans on Black Friday.










Caroline and I went to l'Opera Garnier yesterday. We took a tour of the lavish building and imagined the people who used to visit after in was constructed in 1875. I've never seen so many variants of marble.


We also went to Emily's hand-bell concert at the American Church. Emily helps to organize our program. She is the person we go to to get maps and copies. We'll miss her helpful face.


Then a group of us went to Le refuge des Fondues to celebrate Cydney's birthday. We cooked our own chunks of steak that we dipped in sauces. We smoothered pieces of baguette in melted cheese. This popular, tiny restaurunt requires reservations, and once you get there, you have to climb over tables to get to your seat. You then eat your dinner practically sitting on your neighbor. But it is all worth it, because you get to drink out of baby bottles. Why? The story is the restaurunt once began serving drinks in baby bottles to evade a certain tax of the time. After the laws changed, it had become a tradition, so they kept it that way.


This morning I ventured into the cold and went to the far west of Paris to the modern arch called "La Defense." The touring structure lines up with l'Arc de Triomphe. I explored the Christmas market set up in front of it.

Tara and I have been talking about going up l'Arc de Triomphe all semester and finally got to cross it off our list today. It provides an excellent view of Paris that isn't too high up. A star of roads converge into a hectic circular traffic scene below.

Tonight we had a small Christmas party at Angie's apartment. It was the last time all of us will be together! We drank tea and ate cookies. Then a few of us walked down Le Champs Elysees, which is lined with trees drapped with lights. A Christmas market hugs the sidewalk leading up to La Concorde.

I'll spend the next few days bundled up visiting the places I haven't been to yet or call my favorite. After that, I get to shove too much stuff into too little suitcase, and then I'll be home for Christmas.

French Fact: Approximately 46% of a French person's salary goes to taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment